TABLE OF CONTENTS
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT & PRIVACY OF DATA GENERALLY ON THIS WEBSITE & DURING THE RECRUITMENT / EMPLOYMENT PROCESS
- USES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- SECURITY AND SAFETY OF DATA AND ITS STORAGE
- LIMITATION ON STORAGE
- DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
- COMPULSORY DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
- FREEDOM OF INFORMATION / YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE DATA PRIVACY ACT OF 2012
- PERSONAL DATA – FAMILY MEMBERS / MINORS
- AUTOMATIC COLLECTION OF NON-PERSONAL DATA – WEBSITE TRAFFIC TRENDS
- COOKIES POLICY
- CONTROLLING COOKIES ON YOUR DEVICE
1. GENERAL INFORMATION
Galant Maritime Services, Inc. is a company registered in the Philippines, which shall maintain legal jurisdiction. The Company, hereafter referred as “GMSI”, provides international crew management services.
GMSI is committed to protecting your privacy. The official website, https//galant.com.ph, is presented as is seen by the user, and makes no express or implied representations or warranties regarding its professional business services.
Galant Maritime Services, Inc.
1st Flr Marlow Building,
2120 Leon Guinto street, Malate
Contact email: email@example.com
2. INFORMATION WE COLLECT & PRIVACY OF DATA GENERALLY ON THIS WEBSITE & DURING THE RECRUITMENT / EMPLOYMENT PROCESS
GMSI (“We”) appreciate your interest and visit to our website and would like to explain what data we collect, how and why, and to emphasize the importance we place on your privacy so you may feel comfortable in using this website and when submitting an application for employment. For the purposes of the Data Privacy Act of 2012 (DPA), we are the data controller.
Company-wide, we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy in the processing of your personal data. We pay special consideration to this matter, both with regards to processing data collected or provided via this website, or that you provide voluntarily to the company, as well as generally in the context of business processes as per our company policies. Any and all specific personal data collected via this website, or that you provide voluntarily to the company, is done so as seen and voluntarily by you as the user, for instance in the context of a job application or general business enquiry. The type of data collected may then be held by us on paper and electronically.
1. GENERALLY ON THIS WEBSITE
This website collects only basic data for a few specific purposes, including:
- Processing unsolicited job applications at sea or local employment
- General inquiries
- Standard statistical information on user website activity for analytical purposes to help enhance content and the overall user experience on this website.
All other enquiries that are submitted via the website’s forms are not actually stored on the website or its servers as such, but rather sent securely by email over Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) to the relevant recipient.
3. USES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Any personal data collected via this website, or that you provide voluntarily to the company, are processed only by authorized Company personnel and agents for the very purpose for which you have provided them, legitimately, and according to the legal provisions valid for the jurisdiction in which the website is maintained and/or the nature of the inquiry.
4. SECURITY AND SAFETY OF DATA AND ITS STORAGE
Despite only collecting and storing minimal and basic personal data on this website (as explained above), we make every effort to put in place suitable precautions to safeguard its security and privacy, and to prevent it from being altered, corrupted, destroyed or accessed by unauthorized parties. The same tight controls and best practices are true for any data processed beyond this website and on our Company’s internal networks.
Please be aware that this website may include links to other external websites or other Internet sources, including social media platforms and third party websites. Since we cannot control these websites and external sources, the Company cannot be held responsible for the provision or display of these websites and external sources, and may not be held liable for the content, advertising, products, services, or any other material available on or from these websites or external sources, nor their collection and processing of any personal data. However, every effort has been made to vet these external websites and sources at the time of providing any outgoing link from our own website.
With regards to the security and safety of data and its storage, GMSI assures:
- To take appropriate security measures against unlawful or unauthorized processing of personal data, and against the accidental loss of, or damage to, personal data.
- It will be processed lawfully with your consent for the specific purpose it is required and will not be kept for longer than is legally necessary. We will only process any special category of personal information relating to you for legal, personnel, administrative and management purposes and to enable us to meet our legal obligations as a maritime employer and crew manager.
- It will put in place procedures and technologies to maintain the security of all personal data from the point of collection to the point of destruction or erasure. Personal data will only be transferred to a data processor if they agree to comply with those procedures and policies, or if they put in place adequate measures themselves.
- It will maintain data security by protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the personal data.
5. LIMITATION ON STORAGE
We will not keep personal data active longer than is necessary for the purpose or purposes for which they were collected. We will take all reasonable actions to destroy, or erase all data from our website and other systems which is no longer required.
With regards to data that is processed beyond this website, we will retain our Employees records for a period of 3 years. And where information on applications from prospective employees are concerned, we will retain these for a period of 12 months. After this time, the information will be encrypted and archived securely.
6. DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
You are always voluntarily providing specific personal detail via this website or indeed to our Company directly over email. In order to fulfill our obligations to respond and action to such inquiries, information must be passed on to the relevant Company department/personnel or authorized agency.
As such, by submitting any information via this website or directly over email, you agree that we have the right to share this information you have provided in order to properly respond and action the inquiry with:
- Any member of GMSI, including international affiliations, and
- Selected authorized third parties including business partners/agencies, suppliers and sub-contractors
7. COMPULSORY DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
We will only disclose any information if we are under a duty to disclose or share in order to comply with any legal obligation and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of GMSI, our customers, or others. This might include exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of criminal investigation, fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
GMSI may be compelled to disclose a certain amount of information in relation to you under local governing law, or court orders or on receipt of legal notices to produce documents/information.
8. FREEDOM OF INFORMATION / YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE DATA PRIVACY ACT OF 2012
Under Data Privacy Act of 2012, you have the right to access information/data held about you, and the right to correct, amend, delete, and object to further processing.
Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the DPA. Any access request will be free of charge, although multiple copies will be subject to a reasonable fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. We will endeavour to provide you with the personal data in the same machine-readable format and will make it capable of porting to a third party data controller, only if it is technically feasible to do so.
You should also notify us if any of your personal details change or if you are aware of any inaccuracies so that this can be corrected.
Once you’re written consent has been obtained, your personal data is stored electronically in our database. You can access the personal data we have on file and submit requests to rectify and delete data. Such requests should be made in writing to the Company’s Data Protection Officer:
Galant Maritime Services, Inc.
1st Flr Marlow Building,
2120 Leon Guinto street, Malate
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
9. PERSONAL DATA – FAMILY MEMBERS / MINORS
In order to meet our statutory obligations as employers the personal data of family members may be required. For example, in order to execute the payment of allotments and insurance benefits to individuals nominated by the employee (seafarer). We will not process, store, transfer, transmit and use any personal data until we have received written consent from the nominated individual.
Persons under the age of 18 are considered to be minors. In such cases the appointed legal guardian / parent should provide consent on their behalf.
If you believe that we may have collected personal information from someone under the applicable age without the proper consent, please inform us at email@example.com and we shall take appropriate measures to investigate and address the issue promptly.
The individual’s rights as described are applicable to all family members whose data we have on file.
10. AUTOMATIC COLLECTION OF NON-PERSONAL DATA – WEBSITE TRAFFIC TRENDS
In order to better understand user behaviour and in turn enhance the user experience on our website, the GMSI web server automatically (i.e. not by registration) collects and records basic statistical information on website activity, such as number of users who visit the website, date, time and length of visits, which pages are viewed, general location of the user, the link of the website in which the user visited from, type of Internet browser being used, type of device being used to access the website, among other general web browsing statistical information. However, such statistics are not always collected accurately, as many Internet technologies can now be used or set to prevent or manipulate information being shared.
Collection of such information on website traffic trends is standard and commonly practised on websites throughout the Internet. This information does not identify individuals as such, but rather provides device and IP related statistics. This information is then used solely by authorised GMSI personnel and/or the official GMSI Web Master to observer and analyse such website traffic trends.
Various data that may be observed through the website traffic analytics includes:
- Standard machine identity details (used to access the website), as is normal and necessary when a user interacts with a website and its server; and
- Data on the nature of a user’s visit to the site, including server address, user’s upper domain category and thereby origin, date and time of the visit, path taken to the GMSI website (i.e. through a search engine, social media channel, hyperlink from at another third party website), the various pages accessed on the website, exit pages and exit links, publications downloaded, as well as sometimes searched words or terminology performed to find the website through a search engine (generally these now tend to be encrypted/incognito by search engines).
11. COOKIES POLICY
A cookie is a small file placed onto Internet enabled device in order to recognise the device at recurring visits, and in turn enable a website’s features and functionalities.
Cookies may transmit information via a device’s browser with a purpose of authentication or identification via the IP address. For example, cookies enable to identify device, secure access to the GMSI, and keep track of web browsing preference for bettering user experience. A cookie cannot collect information from a device and cannot carry any virus or other damaging files.
Cookies can be used to do lots of different things, such as recognise you as the user when you visit the GMSI website, remembering your preferences, and overall give you a more personalised experience that’s in line with your settings.
Essentially there are two types of cookies:
- persistent cookies, and
- session cookies
A persistent cookie helps the website (and third party applications) recognise you as an existing user, so it’s easier to return and continue your existing user experience. Session cookies are temporary cookies that remain on your device until you leave the website, i.e. lasting only for as long as the session (usually the current visit to the website or a browser session).
This website only utilises persistent cookies when any browser loads the site, essentially for keeping track/observing website visitor trends/statistics, as explained in the previous section above. This helps to better understand user behaviour on the website and assist with future design and development initiatives in order to improve content and enhance overall user experience. This is applicable to all sorts of Internet enabled devices, i.e. PC, smartphones and tablets.
Cookies might also be placed in your browser when visiting GMSI via third party application plugins or when using third party modules on the website. This only applies when using the social media “sharing” tools via the third party application “Add This” to voluntarily share a particular press release or newsletter to your chosen social media channel. We do not, however, get access or any detail whatsoever regarding your social media or personal detail during this process. We can only see which pages of our website have been shared collectively over social media and how many times.
13. CONTROLLING COOKIES ON YOUR DEVICE
Cookies on an Internet device help make the user experience of this website better.
Most Internet browsers are initially set up to automatically accept cookies. You can change the settings to block cookies or to alert you when cookies are being sent to your device, as well as delete them.
There are a number of ways to manage cookies. Please refer to your specific browser instructions or help screen to learn more about how to adjust or modify your cookie browser settings. If you use different devices to view and access the GMSI website (e.g. PC, smartphone, tablet, Smart TV) you will need to ensure that each browser on each device is adjusted to suit your cookie preferences accordingly.
For further information on Cookies, such as deleting, disabling or blocking cookies, please visit AboutCookies.org
For more specific information on how to adjust cookie configurations, please refer to your specific browser. Below are links and guides to some of the more common browsers:
‘You have a right to complain to the National Privacy Commission if you believe that there is a problem with the way we are handling your data.’